Find joy and fulfillment when you serve through Asbury United Methodist Church mission opportunities. At Asbury we are committed to putting our faith into action. How you want to serve depends on your interests, your gifts and your abilities. Take a minute to check out the opportunities to serve at Asbury, locally and globally.
There are many ways to get involved at Asbury through regular service opportunities. Some of our main ones are listed below.
- Ushers and Greeters: Welcome visitors and members by being a friendly face on Sunday mornings. For more information about serving as an usher or greeter, contact Orville Barrett.
- Communion Stewards: On the first Sunday of the month, we rely on volunteers to help serve the sacrament of communion. If you're interested in being a communion steward, contact Char Keith.
- Garden Angels: This group maintains and beautifies the Memorial Garden and gardens around Asbury. If you have a green thumb, contact Kathie White to get involved.
- Wednesday Workers: This group meets on Wednesday mornings to help maintain the building and complete odd jobs wherever needed. Contact Terry Schoeni to join.
- Front Desk Volunteer: Every Monday & Friday morning, and various times throughout the year, we have wonderful volunteers who are the voice and face of Asbury as they welcome people at the front desk. To learn more or sign up, contact Cortney Inbody.
Throughout the year, Asbury serves many organizations in and around the Kansas City area. Asbury also maintains partnerships with a couple local organizations, read about them below.
Santa Fe Trail Elementary School: Asbury supports Santa Fe Trail Elementary year round through Harvester's BackSnack program. The BackSnack program provides backpacks of food to low-income children for the weekend. From October-May, Asbury fills 50 sacks a week. Asbury also collects food for distribution to the same 50 families prior to Spring Break and provides food for 10 families during the summer months. During the Christmas holiday, we also "adopt families" and collect Christmas gifts. If you are interested in the BackSnack program, please contact Judy Barrett.
Interfaith Hospitality Network: Asbury is part of a church rotation that provides overnight housing to the homeless of Greater Kansas City. If you would like to learn more about volunteering or would like to sign up to volunteer, click here. Learn more at IHN's Website.
Asbury serves globally through activities, trips and offerings supported by the United Methodist Committee on Relief. Each summer a group from Asbury goes on at trip to serve at UMCOR's Midwest Mission Distribution Center in Illinios. This trip is open to adults and families, and will take place Sept 12-15, 2017.
Asbury is also excited about their emerging partnership with Haiti. Members from Asbury have accompanied COR on their trips to Haiti to learn more about ways to be in partnership with the Haitian community. Learn more about the upcoming COR trips here.
Asbury has established a Mission Trip Scholarship fund through the pledges they received through their "Upon This Rock" capital campaign. If you would like to attend a United Methodist Church sponsored mission trip and seek financial assistance,
we encourage your to apply for a scholarship.